Sunday, November 25, 2007

RKC Here I Come!

After several years of waiting, I am excited to FINALLY be taking the RKC (Russian Kettlebell Certification) Course. Afterall, my twin brother Franz is a team leader as is my friend Josh Henkin. This upcoming course will take place in San Jose, CA from February 15th-17th.

One of the things I respect about this course, is that it is the only fitness certification that actually has practical fitness tests to pass. For one, you must demonstrate the ability to teach a total beginner how to use kettlebells safely. Additionally, you must complete a rigorous fitness test called the "Snatch Test." The snatch is an exercise with the kettlebell that involves bringing the kettlebell from between your legs to an overhead position in one fluid movement. It is a derivative of the Olympics lift of the same name.
Depending on your weight and sex. there's a specific amount of snatches you must complete between the two arms. For me, I need to be able to perform 56 between my two arms, switching only once during the test and never placing the bell on the groud.
On Saturday (November 24th, 07) I tried the snatch test after a few weeks of slowly ramping up my kettlebell lifting. The results were not overly impressive as I completed 24 reps on the right and only 20 on the left. I was a little fearful of ripping open my calluses on my hands so that stopped me from going to total fatigue on either arm (as a massage therapist, I can't afford to have ripped open hands). I really pooped out though while doing the second arm. However, I felt like I could of easily performed 30 reps on the first arm (right arm)if I had really pushed it.
All in all, the test was very humbling as I'm not too versed in performing feats of strength endurance since my forte is all out efforts (sprinting and maximal strength training mostly). However, I like the challenge; and the deep burning in my lungs let me knew just how much of a stress this movements places on the entire human organism. The 10 minute nausea after the test was nice too!
I plan on testing again next Friday to see if I can improve upon my first test. After that, I'll test every 3 weeks or so until I go to the certification in Feb. This strength endurance feat for me falls slightly out of specificity for my goals of sprinting some fast times this upcoming 08 track season; therfore, I always do my kettlebell lifting after my general strength work (max lifting with barbells). However, I feel that the snatching will build up a kind of work capacity that I've never really had before; and that I am excited about and will have to see if it helps my sprinting.

7 comments:

Mike T Nelson said...

Nice work and congrats on signing up for the RKC. I did it this past Oct and it was great and I highly recommend it.
Rock on
Mike N

Franz Snideman said...

You'll do great bro!

hmmmmm.......you better do well and not disgrace the Snideman Legacy :)

Keats Snideman CSCS, CK-FMS, LMT said...

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen! I plan on continuing the Snideman kettlebell legacy so do not fear, I will pass the test.

BTW, Happy Birthday bro!

Mark Reifkind said...

It will be great to meet and work with you at the cert Keats. I know you will have no trouble passing the snatch test or getting through the weekend. I would suggest TONS of swings in the interim though,lol.

Keats Snideman CSCS, CK-FMS, LMT said...

Mark, thanks for posting on my blog! I am looking forward to meeting you as well. Franz has told me great things about you.

I'm really looking forward to the February certification course!

Joe Sarti said...

Happy Bday and look forward to seeing you out here in San Jose. The Snatch test is fun

Anonymous said...

Looking forrrad to seeing you at the Feb cert, Keats! Good luck on the snatches...you'll do great the entire weekend, I'm sure.
:)
(Oh yeah...I'm a friend of Franz & Yoanna, btw) ;)